According to Wis. Stat. § 50.01(3), a nursing home is a place where five or more people who are not related to the operator:
- Receive care or treatment for their physical or mental health.
- Need access to 24-hour nursing services, including limited nursing care, intermediate-level nursing care, and skilled nursing services.
A nursing home is not:
- A convent or facility owned or operated by members of a religious order.
- A hospice, as defined in s.50.90 (1), that directly provides inpatient care.
- A residential care apartment complex.
- Wisconsin Admin. Code ch. DHS 132
- Wisconsin Stat. ch. 50
- Also see Caregiver Program/Background Checks
- 42 CFR 483.5, 42 CFR 483.10 through 483.75
- CMS (Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services)—State Operations Manual Appendix PP (PDF)
Waiver and variance requests
To submit a request, see Waivers and Variances: Long-Term Care.
If you have questions about the waiver or variance process, contact Elizabeth Laubenstein:
- Email email@example.com.
- Call 608-266-2966.