Rides to medical appointments will continue
We are continuing to provide rides to medical appointments (called non-emergency medical transportation) during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Please schedule rides with Veyo as usual. If you think you have been exposed to COVID-19 and you have a fever or other symptoms, please call your doctor to make sure you can be seen before you call Veyo to schedule a ride. When you call Veyo to schedule a ride, be sure to tell them if you have been exposed to COVID-19 or are feeling ill.
In most cases, rides are being limited to one member and one driver during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Same-day rides to COVID-19 vaccine appointments
Do you need a ride to a confirmed appointment to get the COVID-19 vaccine? You can schedule a ride with Veyo as soon as you confirm you have an appointment, even if it is the same day. Call Veyo at 866-907-1493 (TTY 711). Please have the following information ready:
- Your ForwardHealth ID (found on your ForwardHealth card)
- The address of where you will get your vaccine
Please note: If you have a medical emergency, call 911 right away.
You may be able to get a ride to your medical appointment if you have no other way to get there. Depending on your situation, you can get:
- A ride.
- Bus tickets.
- Money for gas.
Wisconsin's non-emergency medical transportation manager, Veyo, is required by federal law to use the least costly type of ride to get you to your appointment based on your needs. This could include bus tickets or gas for your car.
If you cannot ride a bus and you are not able to use your own car, a ride with the best type of vehicle based on your medical and transportation needs will be scheduled. Rides may use a specialized medical vehicle or another type of vehicle. You may be required to share a ride with another rider during the trip to your appointment.
You can get free rides if you are enrolled in one of the following programs:
- BadgerCare Plus
- Wisconsin Medicaid (including IRIS)
- Family Planning Only Services
- Express Enrollment for BadgerCare Plus
- Tuberculosis-Related Services Only Benefit
For more information, view the Who Can Get Free Rides fact sheet.
How do I schedule a ride?
If you need a ride or bus tickets to get to your appointment, you can schedule a ride over the phone or online.
Call 866-907-1493 or 711 (TTY). Make sure you have:
- Your name, date of birth, home address, and phone number
- Your ForwardHealth member ID (the 10 numbers listed on your ForwardHealth ID card)
- Your phone number and the street address where you want to be picked up
- The name, phone number, address, and zip code of the health care provider you are seeing
- The date and start time of your appointment
- The end time of your appointment if you know it
- Any special ride needs, including if you are bringing your child or a medically necessary escort or attendant
- The general reason for the appointment (checkup, eye appointment, etc.)
Go to Veyo’s Member Portal. You will need to schedule rides at least two full business days before your appointment.
You will need to create an account. You will need your name, ForwardHealth ID, date of birth, and email address.
Rides can only be scheduled online for appointment locations you have already had a ride to with Veyo. If you want to schedule a ride to a new appointment location, please call 866-907-1493 (voice) or 711 (TTY).
How do I get money for gas?
If you need money for gas, you can fill out a trip log to get mileage reimbursement. You may be eligible to get 24 cents a mile for every mile you drive to get to your appointment. This applies if you have a car and are able to drive yourself to your appointment, but cannot afford to pay for gas.
- Before your appointment, call Veyo at 866-907-1493 or 711 (TTY). Ask for trip logs to be mailed to you or download them online.
Fill out the trip log with the following information:
- Appointment date
- Appointment time
- Type of trip (round trip or one-way)
- Starting address
- Health care provider’s phone number
- Health care provider’s name
- Health care provider’s address
- At your appointment, ask a doctor, nurse, or front desk staff to sign the trip log.
- Within 12 months, submit the completed log online or send to:
8383 Greenway Blvd
Middleton, WI 53562
- Fax: 888-512-2082
- Veyo will send you a check or make an electronic funds transfer (EFT) directly to your bank account within three weeks. Veyo does not make payments by debit card.
Want to know more about…
- Scheduling different types of rides, who you can bring, extra stops, and canceling rides? View the How to Schedule a Ride fact sheet.
- Member, driver, and attendant rules? View the Rules When Getting Free Rides fact sheet.
- Getting paid for meals and overnight stays? View the Getting Paid for Meals and Overnight Stays fact sheet.
What is new?
Veyo began providing NEMT services November 1, 2021. Veyo replaced Medical Transportation Management, Inc. (MTM).
The program now offers a few improvements and changes.
- One phone number for members—Just call 866-907-1493. See “How do I contact Veyo?” below for more information.
- Call center improvements—Faster call-answering times, shorter hold times, better handling of requests for rides to high-priority appointments, and immediate outside review for denied services.
- New mobile-friendly portal—Use Veyo’s portal on a computer, smart phone, or other mobile device. You can book a routine ride from a list of your last five appointments, see where your ride is, get information about your driver, and request pickups.
- Optional text alerts—Sign up to get text messages from Veyo about your trips. You can get details about your trip, trip reminders, driver information, arrival alerts, and an option to rate your trip afterward. You can also cancel a ride or request a return ride by text.
- Additional riders—You can now travel with additional riders when medically necessary, as well as others who are not, including riders requested by a health care facility, children, people under your care, legal dependents, and support persons.
- Parental consent forms—Already-approved Parental Consent Forms are good until January 31, 2022. You will need to complete a new Veyo Parental Consent Form and send it to Veyo by that date for rides on and after February 1, 2022.
What else do I need to know about getting rides?
Anyone, including health care providers, can file a complaint with Veyo about ride services. Complaints may be about things like having a hard time getting a ride, long waiting times, or drivers who are late. You can file a complaint by:
- Calling 866-907-1493 or 711 (TTY)
- Writing to:
8383 Greenway Blvd
Middleton, WI 53562
- Logging a complaint online
When filing a complaint, you must have your ForwardHealth ID number, name, and date of service or trip number.
Sometimes, a request for a transportation service is denied. For example, you may have been denied a ride or payment for meals or overnight stays.
If you are on the phone scheduling your ride and your request is denied, you can ask to be transferred to an independent reviewer regarding your case for reconsideration.
If you were denied a transportation service by Veyo, and you do not think it should have been denied, you can:
Appeal with the Veyo ombuds:
Call Veyo at 866-907-1493 or 711 (TTY) and ask to file an appeal. Veyo will send you a letter when a final decision has been made.
Appealing with the Veyo ombuds is optional, but may be the fastest way to resolve your denial.
Request a fair hearing:
Complete the Request for a Fair Hearing form and send it to:
Department of Administration
Division of Hearings and Appeals
PO Box 7875
Madison WI 53707-7875
You must submit your request within 45 days of the date on your denial letter.
For more information, view the How to File a Complaint or Ask for a Fair Hearing fact sheet.
- To book, manage, and cancel trips as well as submit complaints, call 866-907-1493 or 711 (TTY). When you call, an automated menu gives you the following choices:
- Schedule a new trip
- Request pickup for your return trip after an appointment
- Find out where your scheduled ride is if it has not shown up
- Change a trip reservation
- Cancel a trip reservation
- File a complaint
- To book, manage, and cancel trips online, visit the Veyo member portal.
- To view FAQs, get forms and Mileage Reimbursement Trip Logs, and file a complaint, visit the Veyo website.