This is the official state of Wisconsin vital records website.
The Wisconsin Vital Records Office is responsible for Wisconsin vital records. This includes filing, preserving, protecting, changing, and issuing copies. Records include birth, death, marriage, and divorce certificates. Also included are records of declaration and termination of domestic partnerships. If you need a copy of a vital record, see the below information.
VitalChek Network Inc. completes online and phone services orders. VitalChek charges an extra fee for these orders. Online orders are completed in about five business days.
Call VitalChek at 877-885-2981 to place an order by phone.
You can also get vital records through local Vital Records Offices. This includes 72 county Register of Deeds offices and two City Health Offices (Milwaukee and West Allis). Not all records are available. See their websites below for more information.
In-person service is available by appointment. This does not include in-person research appointments. To schedule an appointment, please call 608-266-1373, option 4. Please use our mail and online services when possible.
Office closure dates
The Wisconsin Vital Records Office will be closed on the days shown below for 2022:
- December 26, Monday: Christmas Day, observed
The Wisconsin Vital Records Office will be closed on the days shown below for 2023:
- January 2, Monday: New Year’s Day, observed
- January 16, Monday: Martin Luther King Jr. Day
- May 29, Monday: Memorial Day
- July 4, Tuesday: Fourth of July
- September 4, Monday: Labor Day
- November 23, Thursday: Thanksgiving Day
- December 25, Monday: Christmas Day
- January 1, 2024, Monday: New Year's Day