Waivers and Variances: Long-Term Care
Use the following procedure to request a waiver or variance of a Wisconsin state statute or administrative code. This information applies to the following long-term care providers:
- Nursing homes
- Facilities serving people with developmental disabilities
Wisconsin administrative code requirements for a waiver or variance:
- Nursing homes: Wisconsin Admin. Code § DHS 132.21
- Facilities serving people with developmental disabilities: Wisconsin Admin. Code § DHS 134.15
- Waiver: An exception from a requirement identified in the applicable chapter of the Wisconsin administrative code.
- Variance: An alternative requirement in place of a requirement identified in the applicable chapter of the Wisconsin administrative code.
Submit a request
Complete the Nursing Home Waiver or Variance Request, F-02536 (Word).
Indicate the specific code for which the waiver or variance is requested. Find the codes for:
- Nursing homes: Wisconsin Admin. Code ch. Chapter 132.
- Facilities serving people with developmental disabilities: Wisconsin Admin. Code ch. DHS 134.
Email the completed request form to firstname.lastname@example.org
Approval or denial process
Here's how DHS will let you know if your request was approved or denied.
- We will let you know in writing if your request was approved or denied. If we deny a request, we'll let you know why.
- We will automatically approve a waiver or variance if we don't issue a notice of denial within 60 days after we receive a complete request.
- We may modify the terms of a requested variance upon agreement with the facility.
- We may impose conditions on the approval of a waiver or variance if necessary.
- We may limit the duration of any waiver or variance.
Find more provider-specific regulatory information:
Questions? Contact Elizabeth Laubenstein:
- Email email@example.com.
- Call 608-266-2966.
Division of Quality AssuranceAttn: Elizabeth LaubensteinPO Box 2969Madison, WI 53701-2969