Climate and Health Resources
Find fact sheets about our program, tools for health professionals, and communication resources on this page from the Climate and Health Program.
If you have a question or didn't find what you're looking for, email us or give us a call at 608-267-3242.
- Wisconsin Climate and Health Program, P-00709A (PDF)
This fact sheet explains who we are and what we do. It also highlights a few of our projects.
- The Climate and Health Connection, P-00797B (PDF)
This fact sheet explains why climate can cause health problems and how some people are more likely to be hurt by extreme weather.
- Understanding the Link Between Climate and Health, P-00709 (PDF)
This fact sheet explains how climate can impact health, such as through precipitation changes, heat extremes, drought, etc.
- Wisconsin Climate and Health Adaptation Plan, P-01447 (PDF)
This plan describes strategies to assist state and local agencies in adapting to a changing climate.
- Extreme Weather Toolkits for Health Professionals
We created toolkits to help local governments, local health departments, and citizens in Wisconsin preparing for and responding to different weather-related emergencies. We also created one-page fact sheets to accompany each toolkit, which are intended for a general audience. These toolkits and fact sheets include background information, practical response strategies, and communication tools (such as media releases, talking points, definitions, and useful reference materials).
- Wisconsin Heat Vulnerability Index
We conducted a geospatial analysis of heat-related morbidity and mortality of Wisconsin and the Greater Milwaukee urban area, with assistance from the DHS Bureau of Information Technology Services staff. This analysis resulted in a heat vulnerability index (HVI) based on existing population and census data, GIS environmental data layers, climate and weather data, and disease rates to identify areas of greatest risk for negative health impacts due to extreme heat. Identified high-risk neighborhoods and populations will receive targeted messaging related to heat events and additional resources during extreme heat events. Complete Report, P-00882 (PDF)
- Milwaukee Heat Vulnerability Index, P-00882 (PDF)
Looks specifically at Milwaukee County's heat vulnerability using the same indicators as the Wisconsin Heat Vulnerability Index.
- Wisconsin Winter Weather Toolkit, P-02577
This four-page brief covers information on cold-related illness trends, real-time surveillance, and prevention of cold-related illnesses in Wisconsin.
- Lyme Disease Trends in Wisconsin, P-01295 (PDF)
This four-page brief covers Lyme disease incidence and spread in Wisconsin, Wisconsin's tick surveillance efforts, and strategies for people to prevent Lyme disease.
- Heat Stress in Wisconsin: Resources and Opportunities for Action, P-01071 (PDF)
This four-page brief covers temperature trends and health effects, risk factors, and strategies for preventing heat-related sickness.
- Air We Breathe (PDF)
- Extreme Heat Guidebook (PDF)
- Extreme Heat Can Impact our Health in Many Ways (PDF)
- Extreme Rainfall and Drought (PDF)
- Insects and Ticks (PDF)
- Lyme Disease Risk in Wisconsin, P-01752 (PDF)
- Tickborne Disease Risk in Wisconsin, P-01751 (PDF)
- Warmer Water and Flooding Increase the Risk of Illness and Injury (PDF)
Informational Coloring Books
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has produced a series of "Ready Wrigley" educational materials for children to learn about being prepared for natural disasters in their community and home, including coloring books and checklists.