Assisted Living: Medication Errors
Medications are an important part of a resident's care. They can help a resident's health and quality of life.
Medications that aren't given correctly (called medication errors) can put residents at risk. Medication errors apply to prescription drugs, over-the-counter products, vitamins, minerals, and herbal supplements.
Examples of medication errors include a staff member giving a resident:
- The wrong medication.
- The wrong dose of a medication.
- Medication at the wrong time.
You can prevent medication errors by:
- Allowing staff to ask questions.
- Making sure all instructions are clear.
- Making sure staff follow all instructions.
- Giving staff enough time to give residents their medications.
- Training staff.
- Giving staff resources to help them.
- Teaching residents about their medications and listening to their questions.
- Avoiding shortcuts.
- Reporting mistakes.
- Adult Family Home
- Community-Based Residential Facility
- Residential Care Apartment Complex