LGBTQ Health: Transgender Health
A person who is transgender does not conform with gender norms for their biological sex assigned at birth. These norms include:
- Gender identities
Being transgender looks different for everyone. For example, some people might:
- Change their bodies with hormones or surgery. Doing so helps align their physical body with their gender identity
- Express gender in less permanent ways. This includes through clothing, hair, makeup, pronoun usage, and other behaviors.
- Choose not to alter their external appearance at all.
Ultimately, transgender people want to be treated with respect. They also want to be treated in a way that aligns with their self-identify. The following resources can help explain the challenges transgender people face. This includes health issues.
Sexual orientation—the sex of people someone is attracted to. Transgender people may identify as heterosexual, bisexual, gay, or lesbian.
Gender identity—how a person understands their own gender.
- CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention): Transgender Persons—General information on transgender health. This includes resources for transgender persons and health care providers.
- Center of Excellence for Transgender Health: University of California San Francisco—Information about transgender health for the public and health care providers
- FORGE: Transgender Aging Network—Information for transgender persons on aging
- Trans & Nonbinary Health: Howard Brown Health—Information on transgender and gender-nonconforming health care
- World Professional Association for Transgender Health: Standards of Care for the Health of Transsexual, Transgender, and Gender Nonconforming People—Standards of care guidelines for health care providers and the public
FORGE: Anti-Violence—Resources for transgender survivors of violence and their loved ones
- CDC: HIV and Transgender People—Information on HIV and transgender persons
- Safer Sex for Trans Bodies (PDF)—Safer sex guide for transgender persons and their partners
- FORGE—Transgender anti-violence group based in Milwaukee
- Wisconsin Transgender Health Coalition—Wisconsin group focused on transgender health
Pediatric and Adolescent Transgender Health (PATH) Clinic: UW Health—Services and resources provided by University of Wisconsin Pediatric and Adolescent Transgender Health (PATH) Clinic