Skip to main content
State of Wisconsin flag

Official website of the State of Wisconsin

Dot gov

Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.


Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock () or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Nurse Aide Program: Maintaining Registry Status

The Wisconsin Nurse Aide Registry lists the names of CNAs (certified nurse aides) who meet federal and/or state requirements. To work in Wisconsin, you need training, testing, and experience. To work in a federally certified facility (Medicare and/or Medicaid certified), CNAs must renew every 24 months.

In Wisconsin, each CNA must work for pay at least 8 hours during each 24-month certification period. An RN (registered nurse) or LPN (licensed practical nurse) must supervise the work. The work must be done in one of these settings:

  • Federally certified (Medicare and/or Medicaid certified) nursing home
  • Hospice
  • Home health agency
  • Intermediate care facility for individuals with intellectual disabilities
  • State-licensed hospital
  • Facility for people with developmental disabilities
  • Rural medical center that provides one or more of these services

Working in a private duty or unregulated setting doesn't meet the requirements for renewing.

Wisconsin Nurse Aide Registry

Wisconsin TestMaster Universe (TMU) houses the Wisconsin Nurse Aide Testing and Registry system. Headmaster hosts our registry.

Headmaster sends renewal reminders to your email address on record and/or texts to your cell phone. Your phone must be able to receive SMS (short message services) to get text reminders. It is important to keep your contact information up to date in your TMU profile.

Email any required materials to our Nurse Aide Training and Testing Department at

FAQs (frequently asked questions) about our registry

Renew your work eligibility

We want to make sure your renewal goes smoothly. If you need to renew your federal eligibility, refer to the scenario below that applies to you. Contact us with any other questions.

I've worked as a nurse aide in the past 24 months.

Log in to your account on TMU. If you haven't yet set up login credentials in TMU, please contact Headmaster at 888-401-0465 to establish a login.

If your certification will expire in the next 90 days, you'll have the option to add your employer on TMU. For example, if your certification expires on November 1, you'll be able to add a new employer after August 2. This step begins your renewal process.

  • Select the Employment tab.
  • Select Add Employment.
  • Select Nurse Aide under the Certification dropdown.
  • Choose the correct employer from the Employer dropdown.
  • Enter your dates of employment.
  • Select Create to submit a request for your employer.

The employer will log in to their TMU account to approve or deny the request. For more information, see Providers Verifying CNA Employment. After your employer approves your request, we will extend your federal eligibility for 24 months.

I haven't worked as a nurse aide in the past 24 months.

If you haven't met the minimum work requirements within the past 24 months, you need to test again. This includes both a skills test and a written test. Wisconsin doesn't require retraining if you lose federal eligibility.

Log in to your account on TMU. If you haven't yet set up login credentials in TMU, contact Headmaster at 888-401-0465 to create a login.

My certification (or my spouse's) lapsed while I was deployed by the military.

Wisconsin law extends the certification of a service member while on active duty. If your certification period ends while on active duty, your certification will extend for 180 days. This extension begins when you're discharged from active duty.

The same is true for the spouse of a service member. This 180-day extension applies if the spouse does not practice under their certification, and it lapses while the service member is on active duty.

This law is defined in Wisconsin Act 210. It repeals a prior law that allowed a 90-day extension. The prior law also required a service person to meet all requirements, except continuing education, for an extension or renewal.

To request a training verification, complete and submit Nurse Aide Training Program: Military Training Verification, F-00657.

For more information on military licensure benefits, visit the Wisconsin Department of Veteran's Affairs website.

I work at a regulated assisted living facility or a personal care agency.

Refer your employer to Providers Verifying CNA Employment. Your employer must request a waiver on your behalf to renew your federal eligibility.

Last revised May 17, 2022