What do disability benefit specialists do?
Disability benefit specialists provide trusted and confidential advice to people with disabilities who are between the ages of 18 and 59. These specialists help people with disabilities by answering questions and solving problems related to:
- Health insurance
- Social Security
- Other public and private benefits
Disability benefit specialists can help with:
- Income, including:
- Health insurance, including:
- Housing and utilities, including:
- Financial assistance programs
- Expenses, including:
- Internet bills
- Phone bills
The services disability benefit specialists provide are free. They don’t sell anything and aren’t paid by a company or plan. Their only goal is to help you identify and apply for programs and health care that will best meet your needs.
A disability benefit specialist can help you:
- Advocate on your behalf with other parties.
- Appeal disability benefits that were denied.
- Appeal Medicaid and Medicare services that were denied.
- Apply for Social Security disability benefits, including SSI.
- Apply for programs that will save you money.
- Compare options for health insurance plans, benefits programs, or solutions to an issue.
- Fill out disability review forms.
- Refer you to an attorney when necessary.
Watch a video in American Sign Language about disability benefit specialists.
Who can see a disability benefit specialist?
You can see a disability benefit specialist if you:
- Are between the ages of 18 and 59.
- Have a disability.
- Live in Wisconsin.
If you give permission, your family, friends, and caregivers can also talk to your benefit specialist.
Where can I find a disability benefit specialist?
Find a disability benefit specialist using our “Find a Benefit Specialist” page.
Similar services are available for people 60 and older through elder benefit specialists. Also, if you have questions about working and Social Security benefits, you can contact a work incentives benefit specialist.
Find program statistics:
- 2021 Program Summary: Disability and Elder Benefit Specialist Programs, P-00332-21 (PDF)
- 2020 Summary Report: Disability Benefit Specialist Program, P-00332-20 (PDF)
- 2019 Summary Report: Disability Benefit Specialist Program, P-00332-19 (PDF)
- 2018 Summary Report: Disability Benefit Specialist Program, P-00332-18 (PDF)
We also have brochures available in multiple languages: Disability Benefit Specialist Program, P-23168.