Waivers and Variances: Behavioral Health
Use the following procedure to request a waiver or variance of a Wisconsin administrative code. This information applies to the following behavioral health providers:
- Certified community mental health providers
- Certified substance abuse treatment
Find requirements and other information about the waiver and variance process at Community Mental Health and Substance Abuse Treatment Services Waiver and Variance Process, P-02328 (PDF).
- Waiver: An exception from a requirement identified in the applicable chapter of the Wisconsin administrative code.
- Variance: An alternative requirement in place of a requirement identified in the applicable chapter of the Wisconsin administrative code.
Submit a request
Complete the Waiver or Variance Request – Community Mental Health and Substance Abuse Programs, F-60289 (Word). All waiver or variance applications are made in writing to the Wisconsin Department of Health Services (DHS).
Indicate the specific code for which the waiver or variance is requested. Examples include:
- Wisconsin Admin. Code § DHS 34.23(5)(a)
- Wisconsin Admin. Code § DHS 63.06(4)(a)
- Wisconsin Admin. Code § DHS 75.13
Submit the completed request form by:
Mail:Division of Quality AssuranceBehavioral Health Certification SectionPO Box 2969Madison, WI 53701-2969
- Email email@example.com
- Fax 608-261-0655
Find certification information:
- Mental Health Treatment Programs: Certification Information
- Alcohol and Other Drug Abuse Programs: Certification Information
Questions? Call the Behavioral Health Certification Section at 608-261-0656.