Consumer Guide: What to Do If You Cannot Afford Health Insurance
If you can’t pay for health insurance on your own, a government program may help.
How to apply for low-cost or free health insurance
There are many ways to learn more about government programs that offer low-cost or free health insurance. Use one or more of these options to ask questions, see if you might qualify, and apply:
- Contact the income maintenance agency near you.
- Call the ForwardHealth Member Services Hotline.
- View the ACCESS website.
Government health insurance programs
There are a few programs that help pay for health care.
- Health Insurance Marketplace—A federal program that helps you find a health plan and buy private health insurance. You can get help with paying premiums and other costs. How much you get depends on your household size and income. Here are some pages you may find helpful:
- ForwardHealth Benefit Programs—These programs provide either health care or nutritional assistance. They all have a goal to improve health outcomes for members.
- Wisconsin Medicaid Programs—There are different state Medicaid plans and programs for people in Wisconsin. Each program has different rules that you must meet to be eligible. Examples include age and income requirements.
To find other government programs, visit BenefitsCheckUp or BENEFITS.gov. These websites have you answer questions to help you find the right program to pay for health care costs.