Crisis Services: Someone to Talk to
When life gets overwhelming, it helps to know you aren't alone. This page includes support services that you can call, text, or message online for all types of issues that can cause emotional distress, such as:
- Anxiety and depression
- Divorce or relationship challenges
- Grief or loss
- Substance use
- Thoughts of suicide
- Violent or abusive situations
The people who answer are trained to help you find stable ground. They can define the best next steps to help you with your challenge. There aren't scripts or pre-made solutions.
Three things to know before you call or text
- For medical, police, or fire emergencies, call 911
- Many helplines, hotlines, and text services are available at no cost to the caller. Some helplines, hotlines, and text services may charge a fee or dispatch services that may come with a cost. If this is a concern, you can ask what the organization's policy is regarding cost at any time. Message and data rates may apply.
- Many of the resources listed here may use restrictive interventions, like active rescues, wellness or welfare checks, involving law enforcement or emergency services. You can ask if this is a possibility at any point in your conversation if this is a concern for you.
Use these resources to call, text, or message online to talk to someone during a mental health emergency.
County Crisis Line
Find your county from the list
988 Suicide & Crisis Lifeline
Call or text 988 or use the online chat 24/7
Text HOPELINE to 741741
Veterans Crisis Line
Call 988, press 1
Disaster Distress Helpline
Call or text 800-985-5990
Farmer Wellness Helpline
The Trevor Project (LGBTQ)
Text START to 678678
Warmlines are operated by peers, people with life experiences similar to yours. They listen without judgment and use their training and own experiences to help you steer clear of a mental health crisis before it happens. There are many warmlines in Wisconsin. All warmlines are non-emergency sources of support.
NOTE: Some warmlines may not answer your call immediately. You may be asked to leave a voicemail and wait for a call back.
Available to all state residents
- 608-244-5077 (Operated by Solstice House Peer-Run Respite)
- 608-519-1489 (Operated by La Crosse Lighthouse Peer-Run Respite)
- 715-505-5641 (Operated by Monarch House Peer-Run Respite)
- 920-815-3217 (Operated by Iris Place Peer-Run Respite)
- 414-877-5918 (Operated by Parachute House Peer-Run Respite)
Available to all state veterans
262-336-9540 (Operated by The R&R House Peer-Run Respite)
Available to residents of Milwaukee County
414-777-4729 (Operated by Warmline, Inc.)
Available to members of the Hmong community
800-293-7080 (Operated by the Wisconsin United Coalition of Mutual Assistance Association)